Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Damn It. Redux.

Damn it. Just as I started thinking that The Inside, Tim Minear's new show on Wednesday's on Fox at 9:00, was the most sophisticated drama currently on TV, the thing looks to be cancelled. Again. Its the fate that appears to befall all his shows.

Like Wonderfalls, the other series he made that was cancelled after only several episodes, it took me several shows to start liking the show. In both of them, I initially found the storyline of the main character offputting. It took a few shows before The Inside's lust for moral ambiguity surfaced in a way that appealed strongly enough to me to show me the way in.
"My staff is just a bunch of fat writers who don't know anything, so we just make up stuff. Our stuff tends to be more about the big, giant, morally ambiguous character moments, and less about 'bag it and send it to the lab,' because we don't know anything about that," Minear says, grinning.

And it's the big, giant, morally ambiguous character moments that interests me more than just about anything else. The final moments of Pre-filer just reached out and grabbed me -- it was a perfect tableau of ambiguity.

I also found this article about this show, by Alyson from Popgurls, gave me insight into what Minear was doing with the main character. I was initially uncomfortable with the way the actress was coming across, because it wasn't working for me. But that, instead of being a problem, was supposed to be the point of actress Rachel Nichols' performance. She is supposed to feel off because Rebecca Locke is off. She's not capable of normal emotional bonds. Which makes her problematic. And thus interesting. Once I twigged to this, the show made a whole lot more sense. It finally stopped suspending my suspension of disbelief and became enjoyable. This sounds like a big problem about the show. But we are talking about 2-3 episodes before settling into the show. In the course of things, that's rather good. I didn't like Buffy, in contrast, until a third of the way into the second season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home