Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Ann Coulter versus Jeremy Paxman on the BBC

Ann Coulter versus Jeremy Paxman on the UK BBC Newsnight interview.

These two deserve each other, although I think that Jeremy Paxman makes it too easy for Ann. He gives her far too many straight lines, being of the opinion, obviously, that her opinions are so outlandish, she can't actually believe a word that she writes. His every pronouncement comes out of his mouth with the BBC-liberal-elitest-trademark-sneer while she returns fire with conservative sarcasm.

It's good for a laugh!

And wouldn't it be fun to make Jeremy Paxman take an extended vacation in a red state - chalk it up to anthropological research. Whether or not you agree with Ann, if everyone he knows thinks like him, well ahem.

[Hat Tip: Clive Davis]

2 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Ann Coulter before the interview, and I admit I was scared by her. (Maybe she's actually Mrs Coulter from His Dark Materials? If only).
Does her sort of talk not raise alarm bells in the States about creeping fascism? Seriously, I don't want to incur the wrath of any US fans of Coulter here, but casting into history for comparitive figures with similar ideas, I found only monsters. Anyway, I'm glad you found it funny as I can hope that maybe I'll get the joke sometime. Byee

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Alcibiades said...

An amusing thought about Mrs. Coulter from His Dark Materials - now she was scary. (Though I still haven't read the final one - but bad enough the first two.)

Sure, some people on the left think that Ann Coulter represents creeping fascism; others don't.

I'm not sure that I can see her as a monster though - she's a pundit, she doesn't have any power. You can disagree with her bitterly - she certainly articulates her ideas in a radical fashion in order to push the buttons of people on the other side of the spectrum - OTOH, she's against fascism. She may have fans, but she doesn't have followers.

Essentially she is a self-promoting, entrepreuerial pundit with a gift for attracting attention. And an ability to articulate her ideas and stick to her guns in an argument.

I can't see how her speaking her mind publicly adds up to fascism, even though her ideas are unpopular in certain circles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home